2022-2023 WJPS UNIFORM DRESS CODE
The school uniform dress code at World Journalism Preparatory School is just one example of the high standards we expect from our students. Students in this academic setting are expected to be clean and neat in their personal appearance, observing standards of modesty, moderation, and good taste. The goals of the school uniform dress code are:
- Help students distinguish that different types of dress are appropriate for different settings.
- Increase pride in appearance and in WJPS.
- Prevent the distraction over competition of fads and expensive clothes.
- Provide a neat and comfortable school uniform.
- Decrease time spent on enforcement of a dress code in order to concentrate on the core matters of learning and teaching.
- Ensure the safety and security of our school.
Interpretation and judgment in matters pertaining to dress and personal appearance are, obviously, necessary. In this area, Dr. Werner, Mr. Lumetta, Mr. Petrotta, Mr. Yarmy and Ms. McCloskey have the final say of what is, or is not acceptable for an individual student.
Students must be in uniform from arrival at school until they leave the building. They may not change out of the uniform in school bathrooms at the end of the day. In addition to the above-mentioned administrators, all members of the faculty and staff can respond to students who violate the guidelines. Responses include, but are not limited to: “writing up” the student, phone call to parent/guardian, requirement to check with a faculty member each morning, or detention for repeat offences. The responsibility of adhering to the guidelines that follow rests with students and their parents/guardians.
ALL TOPS MUST HAVE THE WJPS LOGO ON THEM:
A WJPS logo top: t-shirt, long sleeve or short sleeve white blouse/oxford shirt, long sleeve or short sleeve white, navy, black or gold polo, white or navy turtleneck, navy or black sweatshirt or navy cardigan. The WJPS logo must be visible at all times. The top may be purchased from Lands' End, Ideal Uniforms, the PTA, or you can have the logo added to your own shirt by DePhillips.
- The logo zip-front sweatshirt is zipped up to just below the collarbone. It can be worn open over any WJPS logo top.
- It is not acceptable to pin, tie or bunch-up a top to make it tighter or to show the midriff.
- Tops must be an appropriate length so that normal activity during the day does not expose bare midriffs.
BOTTOMS (no logo required):
Pants, shorts and skirts must be in khaki, navy or black.
No jeans or denim bottoms of any kind are permitted.
The length of skirts and shorts should approach the knee and should not be shorter than the extended tip of the longest finger with arms hanging naturally at the side.
The waistband of pants should be closer to the natural waist than the knee. Excessively long, wide or baggy or sagging pants are not permitted. Underwear or boxer shorts should not be visible at any time.
The gym uniform is:
- WJPS logo t-shirt, including limited edition shirts
- Black or navy sweatpants or shorts (logo optional)
- Lace-up sneakers
The following are not permitted:
- Flip-flops, backless shoes, slippers, heavy boots including military, combat, construction or cowboy boots, shoes with retractable wheels.
- Caps, visors, sweatbands, do-rags, bandanas or sweatshirt hoods worn up are not permitted.
- Hanging wallet/key chains or chain belts, large chains worn around the neck or wrist, chains with padlocks, and pointed-stud bands are not allowed in school.
- Sunglasses may not be worn inside the building.
- Tattoos should not be visible.
Vendors for WJPS uniforms:
Lands' End School # 900141987
Ideal Uniforms WJPS Page
We are also working with DePhillips Sports at 33-05 Francis Lewis Boulevard, 718-445-5420. For a small fee, they will add the WJPS logo to a top that you have purchased at a store of your choice. The top must be a crew-neck t-shirt or a polo shirt in the following colors only: navy, black, white or gold. Or a button down white shirt. The sweatshirt must be navy or black.
The WJPS PTA also sells uniform items during certain times of the year.