WJPS Senior Information
This is a reminder that the Excelsior Scholarship application opens in March and closes in July. Excelsior Scholarships provide eligible families and students the opportunity to attend college tuition-free at all SUNY and CUNY two- and four-year colleges in New York State.
The Excelsior Scholarship is part of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo's ongoing effort to make college attainable for thousands of students across our great state. Families with a federal adjusted gross income of up to $110,000 are eligible to apply this year, increasing to $125,000 beginning fall 2019.
An applicant must:
- be a resident of NYS and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term;
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- have either graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test, as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department;
- have a combined federal adjusted gross income of $110,000 or less;
- be pursuing an undergraduate degree at a SUNY or CUNY college, including community colleges and the statutory colleges at Cornell University and Alfred University;
- be enrolled in at least 12 credits per term and complete at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program;
- if attended college prior to the 2018-19 academic year, have earned at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program prior to applying for an Excelsior Scholarship;
- be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or on the repayment of any NYS award;
- be in compliance with the terms of the service condition(s) imposed by a NYS award that you have previously received; and
- execute a Contract agreeing to reside in NYS for the length of time the award was received, and, if employed during such time, be employed in NYS.
Learn more about the Excelsior Scholarship, and how to apply.